Posted by: pointsevensnowball | November 20, 2008

Finding out why it’s known as WINTER-peg

As Brielle said in her blog Winnipeg was cold. And I too will give some evidence of this, but first I have to tell you about the warm people who live in this frigid city.

After two great days at the Aboriginal Artists Showcase, and feeling like Lauren and Whitney on The Hills as we coordinated a fashion show, we headed for the Manitoba Theatre Centre. We arrived to find out we would have Vanna White-esque sales jobs, that would include selling raffle tickets to people, which would allow them to spin a large wheel with chances to win trips to fabulous destinations. The theatre gig was fun, but  made even better by the people we worked with – two school teachers, one of whom invited us to her class the next day – and the awesome production of Pride and Prejudice that we were able to watch from the front row no less! The play was really well done and we both loved it.

the little cutie is to the left of Brielle.

Brielle and I talking to a group of elementary school students. Note: the little cutie is to the left of Brielle.

The following morning would bring our first Winnipeg schools, including a presentation to the youngest group we had yet to speak with (care of the teacher we met at the theatrethe previous night ). Brielle and I arrived at the quaint little elementary school a little late because we had a hard time finding it. So, Brielle ran in ahead of me, while I found parking. As I walked into the school, I began looking in the classroom windows to find her. I expected to see her standing at the front of a classroom. Instead I found her sitting on a little tiny chair, surrounded by adorable little boys and girls (including a sweet little freckle-faced, big blue-eyed boy that Brielle fell in love with as he gazed adoringly at her throughout our whole presentation — it was so sweet!). We talked to the kids about our campaign and they seemed to understand it and grasp the whole idea of giving .7% really well. They asked lots of questions and were very attentive.

After that school we found our way to Argyle Alternative High School where we spoke to a group of teens. The group was really great in that they really listened to what we were saying and asked a lot of questions. Two of the boys stayed after to talk to us and asked a lot of questions about how Canada distributes its aid. It’s always great to hear that youth are not only hearing what we are saying but also that they are really starting to question the system and look for answers.

After lunch we were on our way to Misericordia Health Centre, where we met some sweet seniors ladies. 

Me and a sweet lady at the health centre

Me and a sweet lady at the health centre

Together a group of us prepared and then rolled and cut dough into dog-shapes. The ladies told us stories and laughed when they couldn’t cut through the sticky and stiff dough. It was a lot of fun and we made a ton of dog bones, which the women will later put into baggies and give to the local humane society.

It had been a busy day, but Brielle and I were still excited about the prospect of laughter that the evening would bring. We were volunteering at the Winnipeg IF ….. Improv Festival, manning the doors and checking tickets. As Brielle said in her last blog, we have been trying to do a large variety of volunteering during our trip and Winnipeg really brought it, especially when it came to the entertainment and culture department.  The improv festival was no exception. Brielle and I laughed our butts off as the talented actors took on everything the audience threw at them, from dynamite to rubber boots. Even manning the doors was fun, as we got to volunteer with some of the actors, who had me laughing the whole time. A definite volunteering highlight for me and the type of

Steve Sim, the coordinator for the improv festival and very funny man.

Steve Sim, the coordinator for the improv festival and very funny man.

event that I can forsee myself continuing to volunteer for.

The following morning we awoke to sore abdominals from all the laughing, and a ground full of the white stuff, the exact thing we had been hoping to avoid the whole trip. But there it was.  Snow. The first snowfall also brought the first real discussion about the need for snow tires. It was a talk we were hoping we could  avoid. But with the fresh powder on the ground and the temperatures continuing to drop, we knew we could no longer avoid it. But we did manage to put it on hold for a few hours as we ventured into the white stuff for our third school presentation in Winnipeg. It could have been the fact that it was Friday afternoon or the first snow of the season, but we didn’t feel we really got through to the students (unless all of the texting they were doing during our presentation was about how great it was). But we always say that if we touched at least one or two students, then we did our jobs.  And I think we did, as we had a student in the back of the classroom asking us a few questions, which I took to mean that at least he was listening!  After the presentation, the search for snow tires was on. We spent the remainder of the afternoon on the phone with tire

A group of improv-ers cracking us up!

A group of improv-ers cracking us up!

shops, bartering and begging for a good deal. Finally we found what we thought, and what our consultant (i.e. my boyfriend) thought, was a good deal. Nevertheless, it would still cost a large chunk of our remaining budget.

The next morning, I headed out, leaving Brielle at the hotel to pack and thinking I would only be gone a couple of hours. I arrived at the Kal Tire to be told it would take at least three hours. I was a little stressed about that forecast considering we had to leave for Regina that day, but there was little I could do. So, I decided to make the absolutely insanely cold two-minute walk to Tim Horton’s to kill some time. I ate, drank tea, read a magazine and walked back to find I still had more than two hours of the predicted three to go. I read three more magazines, watched the news and then began to pace. I noticed a group of other men who had also arrived around the same time. They had followed a similar path as me, watching television, reading and finally pacing in circles around the inside of the shop. By the three-and-a-half hour mark, I was feeling ancy and finally began talking to a man named John, who was slightly ahead of me in the queue. John and I chatted until his car was ready and he assured me the trip to Regina would fine, even so late in the da before he got in his truck and drove away leaving my to continue to pace. Finally, after what felt like a thousand hours but was more like four, I was released from the tire shop. The new tires were on and Brielle and I headed out on the highway where the scenery consisted of snow-covered wheat field, followed by wheat field, followed by wheat field until eventually we saw ligthts in the distance. Alas, we had reached Regina.

A picture out the car window during the drive from Winnipeg to Regina.

A picture out the car window during the drive from Winnipeg to Regina.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: